Dymoke, the name of an English family holding the office of king's champion. The functions of the champion were to ride into Westminster Hall at the coronation banquet, and challenge all comers to impugn the kings title. The earliest record of the ceremony at the coronation of an English king dates from the accession of Richard II. On this occasion the champion was Sir John Dymoke (d. 1381), who held the manor of Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, in right of his wife Margaret, granddaughter of Joan Ludlow, who was the daughter and co-heiress of Philip Marmion, last Baron Marmion. The Marmions claimed descent from the lords of Fontenay, hereditary champions of the dukes of Normandy, and held the castle of Tamworth, Leicestershire, and the manor of Scrivelsby. The right to the championship was disputed with the Dymoke family by Sir Baldwin de Freville, lord of Tamworth, who was descended from an elder daughter of Philip Marmion. The court of claims eventually decided in favor of the owners of Scrivelsby on the ground that Scrivelsby was held in grand serjeanty, that is, that its tenure was dependent on, rendering a special service, in this case the championship.
Sir Thomas Dymoke (1428?-1471) joined a Lancastrian rising in 1469, and, with his brother-in-law Richard, Lord Willoughby and Welles, was beheaded in 1471 by order of Edward IV after he had been induced to leave sanctuary on a promise of personal safety. The estates were restored to his son Sir Robert Dymoke (d. 1546), champion at the coronations of Richard III, Henry VII, and Henry VIII, who distinguished himself at the Siege of Tournai and became treasurer of the kingdom. His descendants acted as champions at successive coronations. After the coronation of George IV the ceremony was allowed to lapse, but at the coronation of King Edward VII H. S. Dymoke bore the standard of England in Westminster Abbey. Complete Peerage, The
Following the ceremony in Westminster Abbey the Coronation procession of King George IV now wearing his crown wended its way to Westminster Hall on the raised and canopied processional way. " The awning over the platform on which the Coronation procession is to pass, is of Russia duck, and 2,000,000 yds. will be required to complete it." Crowds lined the streets to watch the parade pass. Wealthy spectators could book seats on platforms erected for the occasion. " Ten thousand Guineas were given by a person for the fronts of four houses, in Palace-yard, to hire for seeing the Coronation. He must have lost considerably, as places were to be had on the day so low as ten shillings and sixpence and even seven shillings and Sixpence." Soldiers both on foot and on horseback lined the route.
The coronation dinner was held in the huge 290 by 68 foot Westminster Hall. The mediaeval banqueting Hall dating from 1099 is topped by a magnificent oak hammer beam ceiling. The King was escorted to his place by the Barons of the Cinque Ports who traditionally have the right to hold the canopy over the king on the occasion of the Coronation Processions. Once the King was seated the Lord High Constable, the Lord High Steward and the Deputy Earl Marshal rode into the hall on horseback. The Deputy Earl Marshal had difficulty with his horse and swore at the animal in a voice that resounded through Westminster Hall. The Hereditary Champion, a member of the family of Dymoke of Scrivelsby, in full armor rode a horse into the Coronation Banquet in Westminster Hall to throw down his gauntlet and challenge anyone to deny the new sovereign.
The rider was actually the son of the hereditary Champion as Rev. John Dymoke thought it incompatible with his profession as a clergyman to appear as an armored Champion. The family, perhaps forewarned by the problems of previous Champions, took the precaution of borrowing a white horse from Astley's circus for the ceremony. The animal was well used to enclosed spaces and crowds and the Champion's part of the ceremony went off perfectly. After no one had taken up the Gauntlet, George IV drank to the Champion from a gold cup. It was passed to the Champion, Henry Dymoke (1801-1865), who also drank from it and then took it away as his rightful trophy of the day. This ceremony ceased after George IV's coronation in 1821. Then it was the turn of the peers and bishops at the long tables to drink his Majesty's health followed by the customary rounds of cheering. The King stood up to thank them for their good wishes and to do them " the honour of drinking their health and that of his good people" . The Earl of Denbigh wrote, " It exceeded all imagination and conception. Picture to yourself Westminster Hall lined beneath with the peers in their robes and coronets, the Privy Councilors, Knights of the Bath, and a multitude of different attendants and chief officers of State in most magnificent dress, and with a double row of galleries on each side above, filled with all the beauty of London, the ladies vying with each other in the magnificence of their apparel and the splendor of their head-dresses. Some of them being literally a blaze of diamonds."
Sir Edward Dymoke is the Great Grandfather of George Washington, our first president.
The Manor of Scrivelsby, part of Scrivelby civil parish, is in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England, 2 miles (3.2 km) south from Horncastle and on the B1183 road 1 mile (1.6 km) east from the A153 road. The manor is held by grand serjeanty, a form of tenure which requires the performance of a service rather than a money payment – in this case as the King or Queen's Champion. Scrivelsby appears in the Domesday Book as "Scrivelesbi". It comprised 89 households, 16 villagers, 11 smallholders and 30 freemen, with 8.5 ploughlands, a meadow of 5 acres (0.020 km2), woodland of 100 acres (0.40 km2), a mill and a church. In 1086 lordship of the manor and tenancy-in-chief was transferred to Robert the bursar, alternatively Robert De Spencer, but shortly after the Conquest it was given to Robert De Marmyion, Lord of Fountenay, on condition that he accept the office of King's Champion. The manor house, Scrivelsby Court, was burnt out in 1761, and was demolished between 1955 and 1957. However the gatehouse was retained and restored in 1959. The west front is predominately 15- and 16th-century, with the rest, being Georgian and later. It is a Grade I listed building. The Lion Gateway was built around 1530 and was rebuilt in 1833. It is Grade II* listed.
Edward "Sheriff of Lincoln" Dymoke *Sir (1508 - 1566)
is our 10th great grandfather
Frances Dymoke * (1539 - 1611)
Daughter of Edward "Sheriff of Lincoln" and Lady Anne Tailboys
Mildred Windebank * (1585 - 1630)
Daughter of Frances Dymoke and Thomas Windebank
Col. George Reade * (1608 - 1671)
Son of Mildred Windebank and Robert Reade
Andrew Reid * (1640 - 1697)
Son of Col. George Reade and Elizabeth Martin (Martiau)
Andrew Reid * (1664 - )
Son of Andrew Reid and Unknown
Jean Reid * (1688 - 1778)
Daughter of Andrew Reid and Isabelle Barr
Jean Reid (or Reed) * (1759 - 1830)
Daughter of Jean Reid and John Reid
James Stewart * (1783 - 1857)
Son of Jean Reid and James Stewart
Noah Stewart * (1828 - 1897)
Son of James Stewart Phoebe Hinton Cox
Mary Lou Ella Stewart * (1883 - 1938)
Daughter of Noah Stewart and Mary Springer
Doran Edgar Lute * (1901 - 1982)
Son of Mary Lou Ella Stewart and Charles William Lute